If you’ve ever tried to remove adhesives from floors, you know how stubborn those kinds of residues can be. Unfortunately, when you’re renovating, it can be hard to avoid them. When you remove vinyl, cork or carpet from a concrete or wooden surface, you’re bound to encounter dried glue adhesives that have been used by the original builder, or by those who’ve renovated the floors in do-it-yourself days gone by.
Thankfully this stage of your home renovation doesn’t have to be such a hassle. Keep reading for our tips and tricks on how to remove pesky adhesive residues from your floors.
Be Prepared with the right products
You’ll notice when you finish painting that often there are small spills and spatters that somehow manage to find their way onto undesired surfaces. Often people ignore these small blemishes, imagining they won’t make much of a difference. However, fresh paint spills can easily be removed, giving your paint job a much cleaner finish. All you need to do is use some Diggers Paint Cleanup on a damp cloth and wipe it away.
Be Prepared With The Right Products
By arming yourself with the right products before you tear up your old flooring, you will save yourself serious time and effort. When it comes to the removal of those annoyingly stubborn stuck-on adhesives, not all cleaning aids are created equal.
Diggers Glue Rid is a quality solvent-based gel that easily removes the adhesive remaining after the vinyl, cork or carpet flooring has been torn up and removed. Ideal for vertical surfaces, this gel formulation should be on hand before you begin any reflooring project.
Diggers Glue Rid is a favourite among Australian home renovators for the following reasons:
- The colourless jelly is very easy to work with.
- The gel formulation makes it great for use on vertical surfaces.
- It has a slow evaporation rate, making it great for the Australian climate.
- It treats approximately 8m² of flooring per litre.
Dress To Get The Job Done Right
No matter what room you are working in and regardless of the weather or time of day, it’s always important to wear protective clothing. Before you begin using Diggers Glue Rid be sure to slip on some gloves as well as face and eye protection.
Put Safety First
It’s important to keep this product away from sources of ignition, such as power tools and open flames. If you are using this product inside make sure you consider appropriate ventilation.
Keep Your Floor Safe By Applying Products Correctly
Always only commit to working on small sections of flooring at a time, or areas that can be completed in 30 minutes or less. To get the best results from your Diggers Glue Rid, make sure you are using the product correctly by following a few easy steps.
- Cut dried glue in cross sections with a sharp knife to allow the product to penetrate the stain more effectively.
- Shake Diggers Glue Rid well before use.
- Brush Diggers Glue Rid onto the glue to be removed, but do not let it dry. Be sure to keep a close eye on this if you are working in hot weather, as warm conditions can cause Diggers Glue Rid to evaporate at a faster rate as it would on cooler days.
- Allow the product to soak for 10 minutes.
- If necessary, sprinkle sand on top of the area you are working on to help contain the glue.
- Remove the gel and glue with a scraper and dispose of the scrapings responsibly.
- Remove the remaining sticky film and wipe surface with Diggers Mineral Turpentine.